This sticky tofu poke bowl is sweet & spicy with some cool, crunchy vegetables topped on a bed of vinegared sushi rice. It’s an easy, fuss-free recipe!
Dairy-free • Vegan • Vegetarian
- Cucumber and Cabbage are both refreshing and add a nice crunch to this poke bowl. Radishes and carrots would also be a great alternative.
- Avocados add a soft and creamy texture, which compliment the crunchy vegetables. Mangoes would also be a great replacement or addition to this poke bowl.
- Spring onion is added for flavour, but red onion will also work well in this poke recipe.
- Traditional toppings include, nori, sesame seeds, soy sauce, and pickled ginger. I think these ingredients are must!
Sticky Tofu Instructions
To make the sticky tofu, all you have to do it whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha, and natural sweetener of choice, coat the diced tofu, add to a pan, and simmer away until it has thickened! It doesn’t get any easier than that. Scroll down for the full recipe card and step-by-step instructions.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you’ll love my Ginger and Soy Glazed Salmon Poke Bowl! To keep it vegetarian, try my Vegetarian Miso Ramen. And if you are vegan, have a look at my full list of Vegan Recipes.
Sticky Tofu Poke Bowl
- 250 g sushi rice/short-grain rice
- 330 ml water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado
- 80 g red cabbage, grated or ⅔ cup
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- ½ sheet of nori, cut into strips
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp pickled ginger, optional
- a few shakes of soy sauce, to serve
- 170 g extra-firm tofu, cubed or 1 cup
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sriracha hot sauce
- 2 tsp maple syrup or honey (honey is not vegan)
- Boil the rice according to the packet instructions. Or, rinse the rice until the water runs clear, add to a pan with 330ml of cold water, bring to a boil, then simmer on low for 10 minutes with the lid on. Once the 10 minutes is up, do not take off the lid (important!), turn off the heat and let it sit for 30 minutes. Stir in the rice vinegar and serve.
- Before slicing the tofu, check the packet to see if it needs to be pressed (see notes). Dice into cubes, then whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha, and maple syrup/honey. Add the tofu to the sauce, mix well, and set aside.
- At this time, slice/chop and prepare your toppings. When the rice is done, dish out into bowls and top evenly with the cucumber, avocado, and cabbage.
- Lastly, heat a non-stick pan to medium heat. Add the tofu with the sauce to the pan. Simmer for ~5 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Flip the tofu around the pan to coat each piece evenly with the sticky sauce.
- Add the sticky tofu to the poke bowls and top with the remaining toppings – spring onion, sesame seeds, nori, pickled ginger, and a few extra shakes of soy sauce. Enjoy!